Originally published at The Crux

Read more...

Pope Leo XIV appealed for an end to violence against Palestinian Christians on Sunday and called on the international community to increase diplomatic and mediation efforts.

“I renew my appeal for an end to the ongoing violence against the Palestinian civilian population in the West Bank,” Leo told pilgrims and tourists gathered for the traditional Angelus prayer on Sunday outside the papal residence in Castel Gandolfo.

“I urgently call on the international community to work toward advancing the two-state solution, for a just and lasting peace,” Leo also said.

RELATED: There’s a reason why Israel has done little to rein in settler violence. It’s not just Netanyahu

The village of Taybeh has seen increasingly intense and frequently violent incursions by Israeli settlers over the past several months, leading the Israeli military last week to declare the town a “closed military zone,” and prohibiting entry to non-residents.

An Israeli military spokesperson said the restriction applies only to Israelis – not Palestinians – and was enacted to “protect residents in the area” following “several violent attacks by Israelis in the region.”

Observers including a leading British bishop, however, expressed concern over the decision.

Bishop James Curry, auxiliary of Westminster and Lead